Tuesday 13 February 2007

Nice weather for ducks.............













and geese, and swans. This morning's rain was short-lived, so the kids and I took a trip down to the local wildlife reserve this afternoon for some fresh air (I'm worn out - it's 2.30pm and I could go to bed now lol). Hard to believe that this place is slap bang in the middle of a huge housing estate. There's a path (of sorts) that leads all the way round the lake but it was really muddy. I was wearing my crocs, so all the mud was squishing in through the holes in my shoes. Not nice. But the kids had a fab time feeding the birds and I got some great photos (until I filled the memory card up).
I have a confession to make - I find birds quite scary, especially when they come as close as these ones did. I made Casey hold the bag of bread so that they wouldn't come near me (bad bad mummy!)The pale brown coloured geese, especially, were very intimidating. There was a group of 3 of them that followed us up the path, honking furiously because we'd already given the bread to the other geese. The kids showed no fear at all, even though the swans were bigger than them but I was secretly crapping myself and trying to sound confident at the same time so as not to scare the kids lol. I like the cute little white duck though - he looks like a big fat marshmallow and I'd love to know how he keeps his feathers so gleaming white in that mud.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fab piccies, looks like you're out in the countryside.

I need that little duck to show Lucy how to stay white. She's looking very grubby with ginger (!!!) paws at the moment xxx

Shirley said...

I find birds scarey too! You want to see me trying to cross the precinct, everyone laughs at me! Blimmin pigeons!
Using a child as a human shield is inspired though!

Lovely pics

Anonymous said...

Birds make me a bit nervous too, I think it's their beaks. I hate the ones that fly overhead too low and you have the added worry of being crapped on in addition to being pecked.

Glad you all had a nice time though :)

The Dolphin Inn said...

LOL at the bird fright Karen

Love all the pics though - you got some corkers and it looks a great place to while away a couple of hours